My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Is 30 To Young?

Am I too young to be concerned about heart problems?

With long term diabetes it is said that you are at higher risk for heart problems. I think the statistics are somewhere around 6 to 10 times higher risk than a non-diabetic person. Add in my excellent (NOT!) dietary habits and the fact that I'm still a good 40 pounds overweight and I bet it's even higher.

I've never smoked and I don't drink, so I've got that going for me. I try to get regular exercise, but it seems to go in spurts in regards to consistency. I'll do good for a couple months, then something comes up and I fall out of my routine for a while.

I've heard that often times people with diabetes that do experience a heart attack say the symptoms were very mild and hard to notice. That scares me.

I had the opportunity to ask one of the RN's that I work with if I'm too young to be worried about all this, and she thought that I was. However she did offer a suggestion that made me feel better. She suggested that I ask my endo if I am a good candidate for a cardiology workup.

I think that sounds like an excellent idea, and I happen to have an appointment with him in about a month.

Thanks for listening!

2 Comments:

Blogger JR said...

Scott,
  Check your blood pressure on your right arm then the left arm... The bigger the difference, the bigger the problem... Wait a week and check it again... The silent killer won't sneak up on you...
JR

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does the BP differential mean?

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home