My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Grand Rios Waterpark

My wife & I took the first week of January off for a little rest & relaxation and time with the kids while our son was out of school. We took the kids to the local Grand Rios water park for a few days. It was a blast.

We had lots of fun, but there was lots of eating out and I felt really nervous about being separated from my testing stuff and my glucose tablets for long periods of time - especially in an unfamiliar environment doing unfamiliar activities.

I can say that the Cozmo pump performed great. It was wet off and on for over three days. I had to remove the CoZmonitor, which is the BG meter that clips on the back of the pump - that part is not waterproof. I kept that, some glucose tabs, our room key and some other stuff in a locker nearby. It was the fact that the dang locker cost $1 to re-lock after it had been opened that made me think twice about running to do a quick test.

I didn't have any reactions while there, which was good. I was most nervous the morning after a large and unfamiliar breakfast. I really worried that I had taken too much insulin and was worried that it would haunt me hours later. I checked myself after 2.5 hours and was 133 with about 10 units on board. I took the pump off, had 5 glucose tabs and went back to the water. I did fine for the rest of the afternoon and ended the day at 160. Not too bad.

For the most part we each shadowed one of our kids. I would hang with my son while my wife stayed with our daughter, or vice versa. I did try one of the "big slides". It is called the "Toilet Bowl".



So this is a short and fast tube type waterslide that dumps you into this round basin with a 2-3 foot drop into the pool. Sounds fun! So, I get both the kids with the wife and let them know what I plan. They anxiously position themselves by the pool where I'll exit and wait for me to gracefully swirl down into the exit pool.

I start the climb up what seems like a billion stairs. And I climb, and climb, and climb. A few hours later (not really) I get to the top. There's no one up there, so no line to wait in or anything. At the entrance to the slide is a stoplight - kind of like a freeway entrance ramp meter - making sure that the person before you has had the proper amount of time to exit the slide at the other end.

It flashes green and without any hesitation I slide in feet first. Soon after I entered the slide I realized that it was pitch black dark in there, and I was moving WAY too fast. Almost instinctively I stuck my hands to the top of the tube trying to brace myself and slow my descent with some friction. Well, what goes hand in hand with friction? That's right. Heat.

So now my hands are on fire and I'm screaming down this pitch black dark tube doing mach 3 with water now splashing into my face so I can't breath or see. Suddenly I'm blinded by a bright white light! ... Have I died? Is this Heaven? Nope - it's the toilet bowl!

The theory is that you come out of the tube at high speed and twirl round and round in the bowl until you gracefully exit, feet first, into the pool below. Then there's me. I come out of the tube and go around the bowl maybe a time and a half before I plop out of the bowl, completely sideways and land with a big splash in the pool below.

How appropriate.

:-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

The toilet bowl scene was pretty funny. Question though...How the heck do you get out of the bottom of the toilet?

9:24 AM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

It was pretty funny. My wife said she didn't see me come out, but rather heard a big splash and figured I had made it out.

The "bowl" was suspended up above the ground level of the rest of the waterpark. It drops you a couple feet into a larger pool below it - you just swim over to either side and climb up one of those little ladders.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Ha! Looks like fun!

tek

11:18 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Ah, the image on that is hysterical! Plop, into the toilet.

God, I have the sense of humour of an eight-year old boy.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Seconding Julia's sentiment, the image of you coasting around in a toilet bowl made me snicker to myself at work.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

OK... My coworkers want to know what I'm laughing at and I simply can't tell them. I should be working, but hearing other people's toilet bowl stories is so much more fun.

Lots of 8 year old boy humor around here...

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home