My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Why is "D" so isolating?

I think that the "diabetes blogosphere" (aka the O.C.) has really taken off, and is growing every day. It's great. I can't tell you all how much I enjoy reading all that people share, and there is a connection with almost each and every blog and post.

For me, diabetes can be, for the most part, a very isolating thing to deal with. My family (both immediate and extended) are great, very supportive and understanding. But, there is that special connection that happens when you have a chance to compare stories with another person who has diabetes.

Stories about low blood sugars that are very scary, but for some strange reason we can look back on them and chuckle. Centennial lancet changes, and stories about just how many boxes of lancets we have collected over the years. Stories about "oh shit" scenarios, and how we somehow managed to pull through them. Shared frustrations on how we are doing everything "right" but our numbers just won't cooperate. Battles with depression about the never ending physical, mental and social demands that diabetes forces onto us. The list could go on and on.

I think we can connect with each other because we have ourselves experienced many of the same issues, or issues similar enough that we can easily relate.

Diabetes is isolating to me, and I'm willing to bet that I'm not alone in feeling that way. We each carry one hell of a burden, and no one can help us bear that.

It is a nice feeling though to be able to connect with others that bear a similar load.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

It's isolating because it is everyone else's nightmares put together: needles and lots of them, doctors and lots of them, a diet, and not having control over your body. Yet we know it is somehow not all that bad.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Having all of you guys out there confirms for me that I'm not alone. And knowing that makes any frustration or feelings of loneliness bearable.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

Bravo! Well said!

7:14 PM  
Blogger skytor said...

Thanks Scott! I agreee 100% with what you say. I have been livning with diabetes for 26 years, and I still don't think non-diabetics can really immagine the "overhead" this disease creates. At least if you try to controll it... Your mention of the "centennial lancet changes" rings a bell too:)

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home