My Photo
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy

What do you get when you get home from work, scarf down a bunch of leftovers, and take a wild guess at how many carbs you ate?

Yes, you guessed it - what do they say? Garbage In, Garbage Out? But, which was it - high or low?

It was high.

I had a pretty good day. It was one of my long days, where I split my shift and play basketball over lunch. It was also a set change day - but I'll get into that on another post. I was pretty disciplined through the course of the day, and things had gone pretty good. I left work with my blood sugar at 117 (this was at about 7pm). Not too bad.

BUT - That was the L A S T test I did until the next morning. What the hell was I thinking? When I got home there was a bunch of good stuff leftover from dinner. Before I even settled in I had started grabbing stuff off the counter. A few slices of pizza, some crispy crowns and ketchup, a bunch of cookies and milk and who knows what else.

10 minutes later I figured I should probably bolus for this loosely scrapped together "meal". I had no idea how many carbs I had vacuumed in.

I did a LADCS bolus. This term is closely related to Wil's SWAG bolus. Rather than "Scientific Wild Ass Guess" bolus, the LADCS (pronounced LAD-kiss) is "Lazy Ass Didn't Count Shit" bolus. Granted, it doesn't have the same ring to it, but you get the picture.

So I punched in 80g. A conservative guess, but going to bed soon I would rather error a bit on the high side. If I had any idea just how much on the high side I erred, things would have been a little different.

I went to bed nice and early, but had an absolutely crummy nights sleep. Tossing and turning all night. Never really waking up, but just not sleeping good. When I woke up in the morning, I had to pee like a banshee. I knew right then that I was high, and kicked myself for being so sloppy with everything last night. I tested 300 on the nose (no, I didn't use my nose for an "alternate testing site" - it's just a figure of speech), and promptly took my correction.

Starting my day off so high is tough - for one, I'm sleepy as heck, and two, it's a stubborn thing to get it back down to normal. Seems like I fight it for a long time before getting things back in line.

So, lesson learned (again), and I will do better with my evenings moving forward.


Blogger Kelsey said...

I woke up at 312 yesterday morning. Yuck! I actually woke up at 4:30 a.m. to pee and never could get back to any deep sleep! A terrible way to start the day, for sure!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home