My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Monday, November 13, 2006

A Bad Sign?

Feeling weird.

Maybe I’m low?

What will I eat? Maybe I’ll have some chocolate milk? Or how about some of the kids Halloween stash? The list of things I might use to treat this suspected low is already flying around my head. My mouth is already starting to salivate.

I reach over to the nightstand and grab my test kit. Get the strip, insert it into the meter, poke my finger and apply the sample. Within 5 seconds I have my result.

186 mg/dl.

Huh?

Well, I’m not low, that’s for sure!

But is it a bad sign that I’m a little disappointed because I don’t have to (get to?) go and indulge my sweet tooth?

Once again I recognize the irritating link between elevated blood sugars and the urges to eat.

9 Comments:

Blogger Zazzy said...

I agree with both of you. Particularly is I can't sleep at night, I'm looking for justification to have something to eat - mostly for something to do.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it frustrating because the so-called "warning signs" for highs and lows are often the same. For example, I sometimes get very thirsty only to find my BG at 50 mg/dL. I think the amount of glucose (whether high or low) to theconfuses the brain! No science to support the theory, but it sounds good!

1:45 PM  
Blogger bethany said...

i hate it too - sometimes i just want that regular soda ... or candy bar so bad that i almost wish i was low ...

and the high and low signs - it drives me crazy

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is definatley one thing that is hard for us to extrapolate from emmas physical signs. She may just be naturaly hyper, tired or irritable or hyper, tired or irritable from high BS. So we do approach with caution.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight I thought I might be low.

406

I give up. So stupid.

Once again dude, you nail it!

1:53 AM  
Blogger bethany said...

ha i just thought i was low

the magic number?

320

damn ... no chocolate ice cream for me :-(

6:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is this going around?

Last night I was sure I was low (I've actually had a couple readings under 100 this week!), and after a check...

232.

WTF? Grrrr. I took insulin, had a glass of water, and went to sleep.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Rachel Segall said...

Hey Scott,
I actually just wrote a blog asking the question if people knew that insulin can make you hungry. This sort of went along with your last sentance, "Once again I recognize the irritating link between elevated blood sugars and the urges to eat."

I've been talking to my doctor and it does seem like we, as diabetics, get the raw deal. We are told to watch our diets, watch what we eat, but there are physiological things that cause us to be hungry or not feel full.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen scott. that is always frustrating! I get all hyper about finally being able to give myself a taste of something sweet then, BOOM! A huge disappointment.

grr... ;)

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home