My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Desert Dingo?

What do the terms "Desert Dingo", "Class 11", and "Baja 1000" have to do with diabetes?

That is a very good question.

But before I answer, I would ask that you go watch this very short clip from a Baja 1000 documentary called "Dust to Glory".

Got your attention? At least a little bit?

Good.

What ties it all together is that the Desert Dingo Racing Team decided to build a "World Diabetes Day Car", launch a drive-a-thon fundraiser to support diabetes research and education, and give 100% (!!) of the funds raised directly to the International Diabetes Federation!

The race car will sport the official World Diabetes Day logos in English and Spanish as well as have the distinctive blue circle on the roof (for the helicopters to see).

Color me impressed.

The Baja 1000 race takes a week to run (1,300 miles, through the desert). It is the longest non-stop point-to-point race in the world. The team will start early on Wednesday, November 13 (World Diabetes Day is November 14), and expect to drive non-stop for 53 hours (changing out drivers and navigators several times).



They will begin live blogging and Twittering when they arrive in Mexico on November 9th.

Please consider making a donation at the World Diabetes Day "drive-a-thon" pledge page.



Good luck Desert Dingo's! Thank you!


4 Comments:

Blogger George said...

Dood! That is awesome! I have been to the Baja 1000. So sweet.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dianas(my wife) brother races in the Baja every year. His team won their division last year. I don't know if I can get in contact with him(he is already in Mexico) but if I can I will be sure to have him get lots of pictures of the diabetes racer. Very cool story Scott and very cool effort on the part of the racers.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just talked to my wife. Her brother is down their prepping right now and can't be contacted. He will be returning to So Cal for a few days before the race so I sent him an e-mail. I'm sure he can get some pictures before and after the race.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Mike - that would be AWESOME!

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home