My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in April of 1980. I recognize the incredible mental struggle of living with diabetes. I hope to share my struggles, my successes, and everything in between.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Symptoms of High Blood Sugars?

High blood sugars are very hard to "detect" without doing a test. For most people there are not many symptoms - unless it is VERY high, where you just feel bad all around.

I spoke a little bit about getting hungry when I'm around 200 (normal is 80-120). Sometimes it's strong enough to even make me think I'm having a low! There have also been times that when I'm right around 200 that I'll get terrible heartburn.

When I get higher than that, like say high two to three hundreds or more, I get so terribly sleepy. I mean, it's so bad that I could literally fall asleep standing up. I can't focus on anything (except trying to keep my eyes open). This is especially hard when I'm at work. You can't always go take a nap when at work. All I can think about is going to sleep. During these times, I want nothing else in the whole world but to lay down and sleep. It's like my blood is as thick as molasses, and my entire being slows to a stagger. This is especially sucky because during those times, the world keeps moving at it's regular pace. How nice it would be if you could just call "TIME OUT!" and get yourself back together.

The tough part is, that you can do nothing but wait for the insulin to kick in and start dropping the level. When I'm that high, I'm looking at about an hour and a half, if not more. Sometimes when that high, your insulin is not as effective, which means it's a longer fight to get back down to normal.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home